A journey of creative thoughts and projects.

Working in conjunction with a wonderful local museum, surrounded by the beauty of Swaledale in the Yorkshire Dales, the inspiration I find for creative projects and a meet up with all the lovely people I find there.

Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Another idea stirs !!


Yet more busy days at the museum ....
Some days the numbers of visitors is a lovely continuous flow, at other times its like an advert that just might show my age - 'where is everybody' !! There appears to be no rhyme nor reason to how it works but I do know from the comments when I have been there that all that wend their way there seem to enjoy it!!

How does it work my being at the museum, what do I do? That is what I thought I might try and explain this time, having been given the grand title of Craftswoman in Residence.....
You can see from the photo above how light and bright the museum is, I find that a lovely working environment and yes I do find being there sets off lots of ideas for me and what I do - creating my own yarns, knitting, crochet, quilting, weaving etc. The atmosphere there is so friendly too you can't help but go 'with the flow'!

At the moment one of the things the museum is doing is show-casing the talents of a local embroiderers guild, that ties is with some of the artefacts the museum holds too. The picture above shows the larger of the two cases set dead centre. I like browsing this work once in a while, sometimes with envy at the delicacy of the work, the lovely colours, textures and I can't help but admire the skill and techniques involved....
Just look at the work involved in this pin cushion - does such a small, mundane item deserve such thought and time, why yes is my reply - imagine the joy from using something made like this while you work, as artful as any oil painting on the wall I believe!

A modern chatelaine is the image I have chosen next - a set fit for any mermaid!!!
I was really taken with the colours here and it is those that have sat with me for the last few weeks, just waiting there in the background....


...then in the last couple of days - whilst at the museum for the knitting cafe held there each month, a lovely couple who were there in their capacity as volunteers gave me this book on loan, would I be interested. I enjoy the flow of the Morris design work but here were those colours again.... another little nudge.


Now back at home 'ye olde brain' is beginning its sifting work, starting to bring images together on the quiet so to speak. Once again , two or three weeks ago, I'd had a session dying my own fibres. I use a set of dyes known as 'Landscape dyes', very easy to use in the home with nothing stronger to be added than household vinegar if necessary - I love the unknown quality of working with fibre like this, you are never really sure of what you might end up with, no matter how careful you try to be....


.....here is one of the results of a two colour mix on Falkland fibre, a fine soft wool that I enjoy spinning. I love working with all the wonderful native sheep breeds we have available in Britain but I think a little detour now and then is ok. Do you begin to get the drift of my brain - a theme beginning to hook up with the colours. When I dyed this I wasn't at all sure of the colour, not my usual tones but I have learntto let things lie for a while.....

It was only yesterday that I remembered these lovely hanks of dyed silk I have had tucked away for the last couple of years, oh boy something is beginning to 'tickle' away...
















Now obviously I have another yarn to get under way, I think it will be quite fine, as a nod to the silk content but I have yet to fathom what I might make with it.
This is the way I find the inspiration of being at the museum sifts through my creative life and I am always surprised at what is the eventual result - I am rarely able to plan in advance, it is nearly always an ongoing process.
Wonderful !!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, love the colours, just fabulous. Must be wonderful to work in such a great place, very inspiring.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete